Saturday, November 7, 2009

Things have changed a bit...

...but not as much as I'd expected.
 
I figured the change would be as drastically noticeable as the day after 9/11, but things aren't as obviously uncomfortable as they were then.  News analysts are calling this the biggest single killing event to occur since September 11, and pointing out that its the biggest killing of this kind in US military history (which is significant, I suppose, because the US military is nearly 300 years old).  But things seem to be going on business-as-usual around town. 
 
I have to wonder - is it because this community is so desensitized to the idea of death that this is almost normal
 
The real test will be at work this evening.  I'll have the opportunity to talk to a lot of people that were closely involved in the incident, and I suspect I'll hear some interesting stories. 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It worries me that if we become desensitized to this kind of news then will it mean we are desensitized to these kinds of actions too? I mean, I wonder if some will find it easier to do dishonourable things too...

Malach the Merciless said...

'tis the world as it has become, and it will only get worse