Wednesday, September 23, 2009

La Chancla

You can learn very interesting things when you find the time to sit and listen.  This applies in most earnest to the lives of your coworkers - in this case, our Mexican cooks.  This tale revolves around our bus boy, to whom we refer as La Chancla (the Slipper, in mexo-spanish slang) and how he got his nickname.
 
"You know why we call him Chancla?" says Diego, in his moderately broken English.  "Because when we go to San Antonio, his cousin...  his, how you say, wife?  He make the..."  Diego makes a vulgar hand-and-hip gesture which we men readily translate in to copulation.  "He make the...  with his cousin wife!"
 
"Si!" Elian, our bar back, affirms.  "When we go San Antonio and stay in my house with my girlfriend, I..."  Elian points two fingers at his eyes, and then simulates sending laser beams from them to Chancla.  "Because if I don't, he fuck my girlfriend!"
 
We discussed this at great length, and I was much amused.  For some reason, our cooks open up to me more than our other staff - and this is the kind of stuff that makes me glad to be a people person.