Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bad Things

Good news!  Girl and I are back together, and have been now for a few weeks.  I'm very excited about this, as I see it as a fantastic opportunity to find new areas for growth in our relationship.
 
Unfortunately, human nature is getting the best of me.
 
Of late, I am feeling very guilty for my behavior behind the bar.  Excessive flirting, very very dirty talk, and on occasion physical contact (not kissing, sex, etc - but still, inappropriate contact) have become the norm, in particular after having had a few drinks myself.
 
I used to justify this behavior as money-making methodology - and the method has been incredibly successful, no doubt - but I feel like every time I work I slide closer and closer to making a relationship-ending mistake. 
 
The environment of the bar makes things very difficult.  Naturally, I won't drink behind the bar anymore - but intoxication isn't the only thing that comes in to play when I'm at work.  Any man will tell you that when a smokin' hot girl gives you her number, or invites you to do dirty things to her, or shows you her Sweater Kittens (is that still a modern term?  I hope not.) testosterone and horniness levels kick in to high gear.
 
This kind of behavior can't continue if I wish to rebuild and move forward with my relationship with Girl.  So if I can't change the environment itself, methinks it's time to change the environments I'm part of. 
 
Thusly and heretofore, and for what it's worth, forthwith - I set my final day as a bartender at April 17, 2010.  Until such time, all money I earn at the bar will be set aside as a savings buffer.
 
Here's hoping I solve this problem before it becomes a Tiger-Woodsian epic of failure and error.  Because believe me, while I'm no worldwide sports star, news gets around in my community - and if I fuck up, I'll face public scrutiny similar to what Mr. Woods himself faced. 
 
Even if that scrutiny is on a much smaller scale, it will still hurt if I have to deal with it.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Malach the Merciless said...

1. Bartender is the worst (or best) postion for that type of thing.

2. It doesn't end with bartending. Chicks still flirt with me all the time, it is about self control.

Parad0x said...

I know flirtation will always be there. That's no problem. But I don't imagine I'll be getting regular offers for threesomes quite as often when it's all over ;)

Forrest Proper said...

Good god, who knew? Why was this a secret when I was single & in my 20s???