Monday, February 22, 2010

It's a small world after all...

By now you've all read of the recent (intentional) plane crash in to the IRS building in Austin, TX.
 
Fortunately, besides the pilot, Mr. Stack, only one other person perished in the incident.  Oddly, that single person happened to be my neighbor's boss. 
 
It struck me (again - because the Ft. Hood shooting was even more close-to-home in that one of my family members actually completed Hassan's final legal paperwork for him before he went on his rampage) how interconnected we are in the United States - and indeed globally.
 
Imagine - only a single soul was lost in this incident, but it affected someone I have known for years very directly.  What are the statistical odds of that?  What were those odds twenty years ago, when the world wasn't quite as small? 
 
I guess my point is this - it doesn't take massive casualties for the loss of life to be far-reaching anymore.  All it takes is one. 
 
I'm not sure if that in some way makes our lives seem more valuable, or if it makes everything seem more pitiful.  But it's something to consider.
 

No comments: