Friday, January 20, 2012

Lessons in Sketch

First, let me give myself plaudits for the physical attributes of the women I've been dating.  I am definitely attracting beautiful women.  Yay for me.

However, I've not allowed their stunning looks to override my male intuition.  Yay for me, again.

Two lessons I've learned:

1.  "I've never dated anyone like you.  You're so hot.  You look like that guy who plays Kirk in the new Star Trek.  My friends say you're a keeper.  Etcetera."

....when they say that, it may be time to run.  Because when I don't, they do it first.  Honestly, though, it's probably my fault.  These compliments are soon followed by daily calls to "come over and hang out," and "hey what are u doing?" to which, I'm ashamed to admit, I fail to say "No." and "I'm busy."

I seem to forget the availability kills mystery - and killing mystery (at ANY point in the relationship) kills everything.

2.  At the first sign of sketchiness - run.

I dated a girl twice and she disappeared for a month.  For some reason, I decided to call her again after that month - and we dated for the next 4 months.  Seems great, right?  Except it turned out she was a totally self-absorbed young woman - a fact made evident when she disappeared the first time (she blamed that on me, by the way).

I dated another girl who did something similar - she was all over me, then disappeared only to come back when she found out I was behind a bar again.  That was a fire-filled two weeks of receiving constant texts, pictures, hanging out and fooling around...   followed by a swift disappearance.

If I had just paid attention to the signs in the beginning, I'd have saved myself trouble.

Next time maybe I'll learn.

No comments: