Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Close Call

Last night could have really sucked.
 
I took Girl and her friend - who is leaving Texas for Florida in two weeks - to 6th in Austin last night.  Her friend had never been, and I told her there was nothing quite like 6th Street anywhere in the United States.
 
I was to be the DD.  I was not quite as DD as I should have been.
 
So Girl asked me to pull over.  I joked, "If a cop lights up behind me I'm going to be pissed, babe." - I signaled to make a turn in to the shoulder - and as soon as the signal blinked, I was light up.
 
Great.  Very (very) young cop.  Perhaps a bit younger than me.  So he asked me to step out of the vehicle- did some walking tests, etc.  Asked me to put my hands behind my back, cuffed me, seated me - I complied. 
 
He pulls Girl and her friend out of the vehicle - not sure why.  It's not illegal to be a drunk passenger.  But they complied, because saying "no" meant me going straight to jail.
 
Then his young buddy shows up.
 
For the next hour and ten minutes I sit in the back seat watching the girls get hit on.  I could hear nothing, but I could see in the officer's body language that they were being flirtatious. 
 
Fortunately, they let us go - waited for our friends to drive fourty-five minutes to pick us up.
 
Girl said it was like something you hear about on snopes.com - "When are you getting married?"  "Are you engaged?"  "When is he puttin' a ring on that pretty finger of yours?"
 
Hell, right before we left he asked me the same thing - "So when are y'all gettin' married?"  It's been four and a half months, dude.  Jesus.
 
Nonetheless, we're safe and sound.  As my friends said to me yesterday, Thank God I'm with such a beautiful girl.