Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Things worked out for the best... again.

I try my best not to be compulsive, but sometimes I just can't help it.
 
On Sunday night I had a few drinks and a few bowls and gave IN - I'd promised myself I wouldn't call her because I knew she was spending her last day in her home town seeing her friends - but I called.
 
She answered immediately, so I was slightly relieved, but a bit on the pissy side.  We hung up shortly after and, perhaps bothered somewhat more from knowing she had ready access to her phone, called her right back and grilled her - albeit politely - as to why I hadn't heard from her.  Night ruined, I trucked off to Austin with one of my roommates and had some fun.  Made me feel much better, and also gave me the time to realize what a douche I was being for no apparent reason. 
 
Anyway, I picked her up from the airport yesterday and I can honestly say that I've never seen two people as happy to see each other again as we were.  We were instantly back to where we had been when she left.  We walked out of the airport and she stepped forward to hit the elevator, looked back with her gorgeous smile and said, "So you overreacted a little bit yesterday, don't you think Boy?"  I said, "Yes, Girl" and that was it - we didn't need to mention it again.
 
Rewind to just before I arrived to pick her up at the airport.  I remember her telling me once that she fell in love with gardenias while she'd lived in Florida and had only seen them a handful of times.  She really, really loved the flowers.  So last week I ordered some to make an arrangement as a gift to let her know how much I missed her.  I spent almost 100.00 on only 3 flowers - filled a bowl with water and jasmine and put the three beautiful gardenias in the middle (they were all pretty impressive specimens, considering they're out of their natural growing season) and voila!  I knew I had something she'd like.
 
Now I dunno if you know this, but gardenias are strong, strong smelling flowers.  So instead of bringing them in to the airport and handing them to her at arrival - cliche, no? - I put them in the back seat and closed all the windows to let the sweet smell fill the car.
 
I opened her door for her, let her in and got in myself and said, "Man, it smells good in here."  Says Girl (yes, we really call each other Boy and Girl.), "It really, really does.  What is that?"
 
Right as she sniffs the air freshener I reached back, grabbed my bowl of flowers and placed them on her lap.  She looked down at them and just stared.  And then she started crying.  We held each other for about fifteen minutes in that parking garage while she thanked me over and over again.  It was pretty intense - I started crying and shit too.  But only a little bit.  And I promise you it was totally manly.
 
I'm so, so stoked to have her back.  It's nuts, but I really, really love this girl.

No comments: