Friday, October 9, 2009

Obama Gets the Peace Prize

...why?
 
I support Obama because he's our President.  I certainly see him as a ray of hope for our nation because of his youth and vigor, and the way these traits change the world's perception of our nation.
 
But what did he win the Peace Prize for?

According to Wikipedia, the prize is awarded to, "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."  Obama is WORKING on it, sure...  but what has he actually accomplished?
 
Nine months in, he's a Peace Prize winner.  I think the Awards Committee may have seriously tarnished their reputations by making such a premature judgement.
 
It's the Obama Syndrome all over again.  I discussed it briefly before the election - the "Obama is going to fix everything for us" mentality seems to have spread beyond the United States and in to the hearts and minds of committees that should be the least affected by it.
 
I think the award will be beneficial to the US.  It casts him in that much better a light - and by extension, makes the United States look more like the beacon of hope it has long been pronounced as. 
 
But that doesn't make the award justified. 

2 comments:

Sigh said...

In a way I agree with you. I am sure there are likely less famous people that have done (and succeeded) in making peace. I dont think he is undeserving as much as I think there are perhaps 'more' deserving people out there. I would like to see this award go to someone that is promoting peace on a smaller level, locally. That is where peace will start - at home in our communities.

Malach the Merciless said...

Mikhail Gorbachev won it in '89. for the changes he had planned to the Sovient Union after he came in power, similar case.