Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Improving

So sorry that my blog posts are all getting sappy and lame.  But I've always intended this blog as a sort of time capsule - something I can use to remind myself in a few years of who I was, what I thought, what I experienced...  so this kinda boring and lame filler is what comes of that.
 
Initially, I thought breaking up with my girlfriend would make me want to sleep with all the hotties I've been turning down at the bar for the past year and a half.  I've always held the rather callous belief that the best way to get over the last one is with the next one.
 
As it turns out, that's not what my heart is telling me to do at all.
 
Instead, from DDay on I've been working on self improvement.  Painting the house, gardening, fixing little breaks and tears here and there - and getting myself back in to good shape.
 
That as my mantra, I've put my foot down at work, as well.  I'm in contention for a major promotion - if I get the position, I'll be more or less in charge of a major Intranet project (a big initiative for the company).  Oddly, they have already started me working on the project concurrently with my other responsibilities, and the same pay.
 
Further, they are taking over a month to make a decision.
 
Today I was told that even if I didn't get the position, they want to use my extensive experience in Intranet design to essentially head the project - concurrently with my normal responsibilities, and at the same level of pay.  They considered this a "long-term" thing.
 
I told them today, respectfully, that if I wasn't the best candidate for the position I applied for I'd understand, but would have to move to another organization.  The pay here is too low - much too low to add that additional responsibility to my life without adding numbers to my paycheck (hell, I already work two jobs). 
 
This could make or break the job decision, but part of my improvement is no longer allowing myself to be overworked and overused.
 
Just gotta keep on movin'...

1 comment:

Malach the Merciless said...

Yes, don't let the company walk all over you, they can can you at any time.