Thursday, August 9, 2007

Why we don't discuss religion at work

I was the victim of a "better-than-thou" discussion earlier this week.
 
A middle-aged gentleman in my office began ranting about how much better he'd be doing than I am now were he like me: young, good-looking, single (his words, not mine.  Not that I'd disagree).  He explained how he'd have a huge 401k, own a house and so on so forth.
 
I quickly rebutted by telling him I DO own my own house, I DO have a nicely stocked 401k and I'm almost done with my first of two degrees.
 
He responded, "Wow!  You're doing well for yourself.  Nice house, good job, getting an education..."
 
"...now all you need is Jesus!"
 
I had to leave the room to avoid slapping the shit out of him. 

10 comments:

Mybrid said...

I also think all you need is Jesus.

One night a robber broke into a home and heard a voice say, "Jesus is watching you!" while he rumagged through the desk.

He replied, "Who said that?!"

Once again he heard the same thing, "Jesus is watching you!"

The robber looked around the room only to see a parrot. He asked the parrot what its name was. The parrot replied, "Cornelius."

The robber said, "What kind of a name is that?! Who names a parrot that?!"

The parrot said, "The same person who named that rottweiler behind you Jesus!"

Parad0x said...

Haha - I like that.

I should've simply told him I was Jewish. That would have shut him up

Mybrid said...

parad0x, I think you're too naiive to think that telling someone you're Jewish is going to stop them from telling you that you need Jesus in your life. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about!

Been there, done that.

Sigh.

Mike said...

What would you do with Jesus if you had him?

Counsellor in Cultivation said...

wow, so uneccessary.

Parad0x said...

Mybrid:

I was being facetious. I know how this coworker is in regards to his religion. Definitely a good guy - but he's always, always pushing his religion on me. Nothing's going to stop it short of reporting him to HR - which might cost him his job. Not worth it.

Mike: Jesus and I would run through beautiful fields and talk about raisins. What would YOUR Jesus do?

Counsellor: Indeed :)

Mike said...

Me and my Jesus would drink our way through the next cruci "fiction".

Anonymous said...

I love raisins.

Parad0x said...

Coincidentally (or perhaps not so), so does Jesus.

Sara Sue said...

I think we have a winner in this week's "Best T-Shirt" contest - "Jesus Loves Raisins!"