Sunday, January 6, 2008

In the last four years of my life I have been

all of the following:

  • broke
  • wealthy
  • one of the weird kids
  • one of the cool kids
  • totally against drugs and alcohol
  • an avid (but always responsible) user of the above
  • a super-duper nice pushover kinda guy
  • an arrogant, conceited asshole (which, coincidentally, worked out wayyyy better for me when it came to the ladies)
  • a homeowner
  • a wild-ass motorcyclist
  • another entry on the list of people medivac'd from a bike crash by a helicopter
  • a parent
  • someone with absolutely no responsibilities

I feel like I've been at every end of the spectrum.

The reality of it is that in a few weeks all of the hard work I've done to earn the "stuff" will be useless because I'll be unemployed and there's no way in hell I'll find a job making the money I do now - until I graduate in December, that is.  I've got to sell my house, withdraw all of the significant savings I've accumulated over my years with this company and move on.

It's only just hit me how the only thing I'm going to have left is my experiences and the relationships I've forged over the past several years.  The material things we sweat and bleed for every day are the first things gone in a time of change.

I think these last years have totally changed my path in life.  I suspect for the much mo' betta.

Still stoked on this year.  Super stoked.

5 comments:

Counsellor in Cultivation said...

i'm excited for this year too. yay!

Malach the Merciless said...

I got one for you to work on, being gay

Parad0x said...

CiC - Most definitely.

Malach - The job depends on the pay, buddy.

Mike said...

I had a relatively high paying job right out of college and after 4 years, got laid off. It sucked. I pretty much had to give up everything.

The best lesson to take away from it all is that it is not the material shit that counts. It is the experience. Plus, once you go through that once, you are never afraid of going through it again.

Parad0x said...

Exactly right, Mike. Maybe it's a good thing that I learned this lesson so early.