Sunday, May 20, 2007

Racism

Last night I bore witness to an obviously racist action taking place at a local club.

I was bringing my buddy to a local "country western" bar with me. I haven't seen him in almost a year and we've been good friends for a long time so I was really looking forward to hanging out.

Well, we get to the door and the door man asks him to remove his doo rag and turn his hat forward - no problem, happy to do it. He acquiesces to said request and we head in...

...until head bouncer guy says "They won't let you in like that."

Let me describe "that." White baseball cap, light blue-red-brown-beige striped dress shirt (tucked in per request) with khakis and leather shoes - very well dressed.

"Sorry, we can't let you in. That hat won't work."

We offer to take the hat off - "Sorry, they won't let you in."

So we turn around and head back toward the car... until we see them let a white guy wearing close to the same type of clothing (hat included) enter the club.

We headed back to the door and asked why the white guy got in with his cap but we can't get in. The head door guy finally says, "Take off your hat and you can go in."

I've never had anything like this happen before. Crazy stuff.

1 comment:

Counsellor in Cultivation said...

wow. incredible that things like that still happen. welcome to texas i guess, huh?